E-Commerce Marketing: Essentials to Know
- BY Akshay Arora
Feature Writer, BusinessEx
- Aug 15,2017
- 18 Mins Read
E-commerce space has opened up its arms for myriad start-ups in the past few years and still every year thousands of start-ups initiate their services online and expanding in e-commerce space optimally. The start-ups keep on enhancing their services and grow despite tough competition existing in the market majorly because of their marketing strategy and how they present themselves in front of the targeted consumers. The more visible your business on other platforms, the keener consumers get to browse your website. It is necessary to have an easily accessible, attractive website and a chat support system to guide consumers towards finding the suitable opportunity they are scouting for.
E-commerce marketing is a practice to attract consumers and drive your product sales by raising awareness about your offerings.
E-commerce marketing includes:
- Search engine optimization(SEO) that support business website to rank higher in organic search engine listings
- Affiliation with better-known websites through referral marketing or banner advertising.
- Retention of current customers through email/content marketing.
- Google Ads, Facebook banners and ads, Instagram, LinkedIn are some of the social media sites that help you achieve the target that you desire.
- Driving traffic and optimising the user experience is the sole purpose of e-commerce marketing strategies.
E-commerce Marketing Channels
Search Engine Marketing (SEM or PPC)
This channel allows you to display text and product advertisements with relevant search queries in the search result on any search engine like Google. These channels drive users with intent to purchase; it is a more efficient way to showcase your product offering at a wide level in low cost. Businesses bid for paid listings to get them at the top of search engine results, paying on a per-click basis.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
SEO traffic comes from unpaid "organic" results on search engines such as Google. This process helps to get your website to rank upper in the search results. This is frequently done by creating good content that attracts customers and links.
It is necessary to know the audience first and then write content accordingly so that you are able to attract the right consumers and pursue them to use your services. This can be articles, industry reports, images or videos. A similar approach is adopted by BusinessEx.com with its section of news, articles and industry reports that help consumers to find useful knowledge for their business.
These are banners, ads, sidebars, etc viewed on existing popular social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube or Reddit. If trying to reach out to customers via this approach then make sure that the message is short, attractive, and easy to remember in order to grab their attention.
When referrals come on your site from the third party, then you have to pay commission for every sale takes place from this traffic.
By keeping in touch with prospect consumers via email and engaging them with interesting content or great offers, you can stay top of their mind and generate revenue.
Bhavna Tewari, E-Commerce and Digital Marketing Manager Crocs India shared her insights. Let's see:-
If social media is to influence conversion there is one important thumb rule – a strong CTA(Call to Action) and a scientific way of targeting people who want to hear from you at the time they want to hear from you. Following are a few things we do:
1) Buyer segment led marketing using principles of inbound marketing for our content strategy. We research on the prospective buyer, what challenges do we solve for them, map the buyer’s journey and basis that develop content on social media. We create content designed to attract buyers at different stages of their decision-making process.
2) On Facebook, we research on our prospective buyers and target people accordingly. We use an iterative process to define specific target audiences. The sets will include different kinds of interests that our typical buyer would have. We keep a close eye on targeting to reach out to the right kind of audience for the brand. We strongly believe in relevance and quality rather than just plain numbers. The mandatory CTA to visit the website should have appeal enough and should solve a need for the customer – it should either have the information they want or a product that they have been looking for.
3) We focus on empowering customers and letting them lead the way. A good example of this would be our region specific contest- targeting the least engaged city, and creating a contest around it. The theme, content is very location inspired and helps establish an interesting connects. The contest helps us achieve high engagement in that region and influences them to visit the online store.
4) Our brand is committed to user engagement and social media provides a great way to do this. Our India social media accounts were recognized as best-in-class within Crocs across different countries for these criteria. This has been possible because we have pushed the envelope in terms of balancing global brand standards with localised flavour for content, which is very important on social media. No one likes to engage with a brand that sounds alien to their local culture. We pride ourselves in using digital media in a strong way to achieve this connect with our Indian audience.
5) Driving traffic for e-commerce through CTA of Shop now using Carousel Ads, GIFs, interesting content, etc attracts the consumers.
It is crucial for e-commerce websites to stay up to date with latest marketing trends & techniques in order to be successful. To deliver valuable and relevant content/product, it is necessary to know your audience and what their needs are. Try to learn from the mistakes and techniques of successfully running start-ups and gain experience/knowledge from them to take a good approach & then form your business marketing strategies. It is necessary to connect with your customers in varied manners so that they will be able to find you easily and connect with you if they want to. To carry out all these activities it is necessary to have an expert team and regularly examine trends and keep your website organised and constantly monitor your analytics.
More from Akshay Arora
- October 05, 20213 Min Read
- October 07, 20213 Min Read
- October 08, 20213 Min Read
- October 11, 20213 Min Read
- October 12, 20213 Min Read
- October 15, 20213 Min Read
- October 16, 20213 Min Read
- October 23, 20213 Min Read
- October 30, 20213 Min Read
- November 12, 20213 Min Read
- November 29, 20213 Min Read
- December 04, 20213 Min Read
Recommended for you
- October 05, 2021
- October 11, 2021
- October 08, 2021